Hagood Avenue Baptist Church
1144 Hagood Avenue  ~  Barnwell, SC  29812
803-259-3261
Copyright 1997
With a firm foundation of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Hagood Avenue Baptist Church has experienced years
of growth. We have invested many years into evangelism and discipleship for all ages. Current church
enrollment is approximately 658 members with an average of 150 in Sunday School. The original sanctuary was
the old Joyce Branch Baptist Church building which was moved to the present site and remodeled by Rev. R. W.
Hollis of Ehrhardt. An adjoining lot to the church was donated by Senator Edgar A. Brown which allowed for
expansion of our present facilities. The first floor of our educational building was completed in 1955, and the
second floor was added in 1966. Also in 1966 one lot was given to Hagood Avenue by Representative Soloman
Blatt as a site for a new pastorium which was completed in 1966. In 1978, the current fellowship hall was built
and dedicated as the Coy Still Fellowship Hall. In December of 1988, Hagood Avenue was blessed with the
construction of a new sanctuary. Our former sanctuary building was removed from the church property and was
purchased by Cornerstone Baptist Church of Aiken. It has been remodeled and continues to be used as a
center of worship. In 1997, Hagood Avenue undertook a major building and renovation. An eleven-room
Children's wing was built. It houses a new nursery and preschool area on the first floor and Sunday School
classrooms for grades 1st through 6th on the second floor. In addition, a new Music Suite was built. The music
suite houses separate men's and women's dressing rooms with rest room facilities. The room area will
accommodate 55 people. Along with the building, the Worship Center was expanded from 380 capacity to 522.
The Worship Center is a semi-circle design with faceted glass on the sides and behind the baptistry.
Joyce Branch Church, 1953
Joyce Branch Church fully bricked
Fellowship Hall ground breaking 1978
In 1988 Hagood was ready to build a sanctuary 3 times the size
of the original church
Pictured above:
I. B. "Buster" Lawrimore, Pastor C. W. "Budgie" Butler, and Jerry Brown
In 1994 a need for expansion would come. This new addition would include an expanded worship center
seating 522 capacity. Hagood would experience a surge in attendance and new members. This resulted in the
education wing that would be used for children's Sunday school and nursery facilities, and the addition of a
new music suite.
Ground Breaking for New Additions
Pictured in order at left are:

Don Estep, 1994 Chairman of Deacons
Ann Smith, Charter member
Tim Britt, son of former pastor Rev.
Glen Britt
Dr. Kenneth Catoe, Pastor
Scott Brown, Music
Pictured below are the sides of the sanctuary being expanded to house 200 additional seats
Left Wing
Right Wing
New Music Suite
New Children's Education Building
Pastors through the years
John Ayers................ Mission Church
Clifton C. Duvall......... May  1953 - Aug. 1956
C. R. Smith............... Dec. 1956 - Jan. 1960
William A. Sandifer....... Aug. 1960 - Jan. 1965
W. G. Dove................ Aug. 1965 - Dec. 1966
Glenn Britt............... Mar. 1968 - Dec. 1979
Roger S. Head............. Apr. 1980 - Apr. 1983
C. W. Butler.............. Jun. 1983 - Apr. 1989
Don Drawdy................ Oct. 1989 - Dec. 1991
Kenneth Catoe............. Sep. 1992 - Present
Watch HAGOOD HISTORY Video on YouTube by clicking YOUTUBE Icon
History
Barnwell, SC